Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 3: My 2013 Minnesota Twins Weight Loss Challenge

First of all, a big THANK YOU to so many of you that have let me know in a variety of ways that you're supporting me in My 2013 Minnesota Twins Weight Loss Challenge. Just knowing that you were willing to take the time to tell me you cared - whether by "liking" my Facebook post or sending a message - means a lot. Also, for those of you that have said you're in this with me, whatever your goal is, WE can do this!

It's been a week of many good emotions, and everyone's support has been just one more thing that has just about brought me to (happy) tears. My brother got engaged on Day 2 of my challenge, and our family couldn't be more pleased. It's also one more motivating factor for me. I've even got a dress in mind that I'd like to fit into again...

On Tuesday (Day 1), I decided to try something new at my gym. I used to meet a few others at the gym, and there was an "AquaFit" class that was held when we were meeting. I loved to swim growing up, but I hate to be in a swimsuit now. However, I always thought I'd like to try this sometime. The people I used to meet, however, occasionally made fun of the class. A couple of times, I ventured that I thought it looked like something I'd enjoy. However, I let the disparaging remarks they made about the class keep me from giving it a try. It just seemed like another way to look stupid in their eyes (and, by extension, everyone else's eyes).

So, this week, I decided I needed to step out of my comfort zone and try it. It was very intimidating to walk in for the first time. I'm not a fan of new things because I don't like being out of control and I don't like people to see me mess up or fail at a task. When I walked into the locker room, there was a woman about my age (and about my size!) who had a dry swimsuit on, a pretty good bet she was on her way into the class. I was happy to see I wouldn't be the only person who didn't have gray hair. I was also brave enough to ask her what the "social norms" are for the class - do you bring your towel? need to get equipment first? get right into the pool or wait for the instructor?

The hour long class was great! There was a lot of aerobic activity, as well as resistance/muscle work. The class was at least 30 people, and it was split about 1/3 in my age bracket and the other 2/3 in the retired-but-not-elderly category. There was one older gentlemen who kind of took me under his wing, making sure I didn't stub my toe on the drain or that no one ran over me when 30 people changed directions running in the water - a lot harder than you might think for a short person! I really enjoyed being in the water, working out with others, and stepping out of the pool knowing that I worked hard. My hope is to make this class at least once per week, and I'm already worrying about how I can fit it into my week when my schedule changes for the summer. I'll have to see if I'm this excited after Week 2 of the class...

This week, I'm proud of myself for letting go of an area of my life where I've been too concerned about what others think. By letting go of what a few people said they thought about something that interested me, I discovered something I may really end up enjoying, that could have a positive impact on my health, and I reclaimed a little bit of my self-image, a little of control which I'd given away.

Also, a quick note, I'll post my progress sometime after my Tuesday weigh-ins. Mostly likely, late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. So, if you're interested in keeping tabs on how I'm doing, that will be the best time to check.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! Keep it up! I know what you mean about letting go. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's very difficult and scary. I hope we both can continue to let go when we need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was out of town for the weekend. Thanks for the words of support. And yes, I agree, BOTH of us are strong enough to let go. Peace, my friend!

      Delete